Pages

Friday, April 29, 2011

Orlando Bosch, in memoriam

Perhaps it will suffice to say, I did not know Orlando Bosch well, hardly at all, but will remember him well for what he told me at his west Miami-Dade house in the fall of 2001: that a Venezuela court absolved him in the bombing of the Cubana de Aviacion jet in 1976, which killed all 73 people on board, including Cuba's national fencing team; but that all of those who died were "esbirros" -- collaborators -- of the communist regime in Havana that he so despised. From his lack of sorrow with regard to those deaths, I knew that he was not well indeed.  

After the interview, we chatted in the doorway, and to my amazement Bosch started to cry, blubberingly lamenting the deaths of all those people who died in the September 11 attacks on the World Trade Center in New York. This capacity to swing from the vile callousness he displayed several minutes earlier to an outburst of authentic bereavement still perplexes and disturbs me when I think about it. 

You can read a little more about this encounter with Orlando Bosch here, in this link to an old Miami New Times article "Terrorists, But Our Terrorists."

No comments: